Moving out for the first time






Wow have I really been moved out for over two years now? Apparently so! Moving out for the first time can be extremely daunting but oh so exciting! When me and my boyfriend decided we were going to get a place together we literally had nothing... no furniture, no home decor.. we were starting from scratch and believe me it's not cheap! Home ware shopping will become your favourite hobby! We brought stuff for our flat over time because as much as I would have loved it all finished in one day it just wasn't realistic and you soon realise this! I remember our first night in our apartment like it was yesterday... we had a sofa, a mattress and a few appliances but honestly it all comes together in time and we made the most perfect little home. The first night is the strangest because you're in a new place and not your usual bedroom you've grown up in and it takes time to get used to all of the noises of the house. We are now in our second home together and rent a two bedroom house so I thought I would share with you some of my experiences of moving out.




Feeling safe - This is a big one for me. Feeling safe in my own home is a massive thing to me as I worry A LOT. At first this was probably my biggest struggle when we first moved out. Karl adjusted to it all really well but I took a bit longer in terms of being home alone and feeling safe. I wouldn't even have a shower when I was on my own and I would constantly be listening out for every little noise. Having now been moved out for over two years I can finally say i've adjusted to it and feel safe when being at home alone (the majority of the time... theres definitely still times where i'm a bit on edge but it's no where near as bad as I used to find it). I think feeling safe in the area you live in is essential also but if you are like me and are quiet a worrier you will definitely adjust it will just take a little bit longer!




Bills and costs - This is probably the most important factor of moving out... it really is essential you add up all your costs and ensure you can afford them! I've got to say Karl was amazing and i've learnt a lot from him as he became independent very quickly and was majorly on top of bills whereas I hadn't even had a direct debit before. He has taught me how to manage all my money and keep on top of my direct debits each month. Before looking into renting we had no idea just how expensive it was.. as we had to pay a deposit, the first months rent and referencing fees so in our experience it didn't happen over night but we all need to start somewhere!

Food shop - We have always been pretty good with the food shop. I make a meal plan every week so that we only buy what we need and don't waste food. I am a pretty organised person so the thought of going food shopping with no list and no ideas of dinners for the week is an absolute disaster waiting to happen. I find that meal planning helps you to stay on top of healthy eating otherwise I would just find myself picking up whatever I saw and whatever I thought looked nice... which would then result in over spending but also a lot of waste. I think you find your own way of how you shop best but you definitely learn a lot as you go. I personally love being able to do the food shop and choose my own dinners as another bonus is not buying in naughty foods that you don't want around for moments of weakness.... even if I do majorly fail at resisting going to the supermarkets mid-week and giving into my chocolate cravings.




Having regular clear outs - This one is so important in my case as I never use to get rid of anything but it really is vital in creating storage space! I had so much stuff and half of it I wouldn't even look at. My biggest weakness is not chucking out clothes. I can never bring myself to get rid of clothes because I convince myself i'll wear it again.... but do I? Nope. Whenever I decide to have a proper clothes sort out nowadays I will ask myself 'When was the last time I wore this?' and 'Realistically will I ever wear this again?' On so many occasions I have kept clothes and a year later I still haven't worn them and I have finally learnt from this and my clear outs nowadays are so much more successful.

Decor - Having a whole house to decorate just the way you want it is great. We currently private rent so painting and putting stuff up on the walls isn't really an option for us however, I use candles, stand up frames and ornaments to add that personal touch. I also found some self standing shelves from IKEA which are perfect as you don't need to drill into anyway walls! The smallest things make the biggest difference such as cute bedding with a ton of cushions, rugs and sofa cushions to add some colour.





IKEA - This place will become your best friend in terms of furniture... I strongly recommend you take a visit!

Cleaning - All I really have to say for cleaning is that it is NEVER ENDING.. and you soon realise this when all you seem to find yourself doing is spending your time cleaning what you've just cleaned.

Having your own space - Ahhh the best bit about moving out... being able to have a shower whenever you want and watching whatever you want on the telly! It really is the little things. Having your own space really does make all of the having your own place struggles worth it. Another bonus is using all your space however you wish you to use it. We use our spare room for the wardrobe and my make up desk area and its a dreaaaaaam... having so much space for make up storage is only right!








There is a lot to learn with moving out but it is the most exciting experience and I don't have any regrets because its all about learning what works. I hope this post gives you some ideas and a little bit of inspiration if you're looking into moving out for the first time!

Thanks for reading.

Imogen xxx 


4 comments

  1. I'm terrible for worrying about our home being safe and secure! Getting a house alarm has been the best thing to stop me worrying and also having a dog really helps because I know he will bark if anyone is at the door x

    www.luxestyle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. House alarms are a really good idea actually! I must admit I know what you mean about having a dog... my mum has one and if I'm ever there alone it definitely helps! Xx

      Delete
  2. I agree that moving somewhere new takes time to feel safe to be alone. I love Ikea! I'm happy you enjoy your place now, it looks great so far :)

    http://www.myclusterofthoughts.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice when you finally start to adjust! Ikea is amazing isn't it... I spend hours in there and it's such great value! Thank you so much! :) x

      Delete

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig